Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Four Months Old!

Wow! Can it really be four months? Nora is getting more and more enjoyable every day. On Saturday she rolled over and Grandpa and Grandma's house. She continues to roll over, but gets mad because her arm gets stuck underneath her and then she can't remember how to roll from her belly to her back. She likes to grab things and examine them. She especially like to grab material, like shirts, blankets, burp rags, etc. She sucks, rather chews, on her pointer finger and her thumb simultaneously.

I finally had enough of her getting up three times every night even though I only feed her once, especially since she has gone for nine hours without waking several times about six weeks ago. I decided I was going to bite the bullet and begin "sleep training" even though I was afraid she would hate it and go nuts. Instead of picking her up, reswaddling her, rocking and bouncing her until she was dead asleep, I just sat by her bed and patted her and shushed her and gave her her "lovey" which is a 12x12 very soft blanket with a little bunny sewn in a pocket. The first night it took her about 1 1/2 hours to go to sleep, but she wasn't screaming her head off, just fussing a bit and crying off and on. Each night has been a little better and now she practically goes right to sleep once I lay her down with her pacifier and lovey. When she does wake up she puts herself back to sleep quickly and last night she slept from 7:30 until 5:30. I fed her then she went back to sleep until 8:00. Wow! Let's hope this continues!!!!!

She is starting to make more cute little sounds and she thinks it's funny when I copy her. One of her more common sounds is that she will blow between her lips and trumpet like you might if you were making a trumpet or trombone sound. So cute! So, she has discovered her hands, her voice and she even has discovered her toes, which she like to play with in the tub.

She's moved into 6 - 9 month clothes. Some are too big, some are too small. Why is that? It seems all of Zane's clothes fit him pretty true-to-size. Here she is FINALLY wearing one of the dresses Grandma and Grandpa Tolman gave her for Christmas.
I LOVE this girl.


We have her four month appointment this afternoon. I'm thinking she's a little over 15 pounds. She's really not that chunky. Mostly all cheeks. I'll let you know when we get back.

Okay, I was waaayy off. She is only 13 pounds 14 ounces--about the 50th percentile. I was just guessing going off her two month weight and the fact that most babies gain about 1 ounce per day. What a scrawny little thing. You'd never believe she was "average" looking at those cheeks, huh?

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Love that dress . . . oh, and Nora is adorable in it - looks just like a doll.

Matt Smith said...

Wow, I'm jealous of your long night's sleep. I am the worst about getting my kids to sleep by themselves. Love Nora's dress!

Keri said...

Nora is very cute in pink! That's great that she's sleeping so well. Good job; I too have trouble getting them to sleep on their own. When they're sick, I feel bad for them and let them sleep by me and then it's rough getting back on track!

Lewis' said...

I can't believe 4 months already. She is adorable in that dress. Way to be consistant, its amazing how a good night sleep can feel. I'm trying to convince "nicely" to my sister to sleep train her boy. He'll be one next month and still gets rocked to sleep and his poor Dad is a sucker and let's him sleep in their bed. Sleep, sleep, sleep, it's precious to everyone:)

Aunt Viv said...

What a great sleeper!!! I should probably work with Daisy on her sleeping.